Here are some examples of how this could be useful:
- Drafting calves from their mothers to wean them.
- Drafting all animals that belong to a contract e.g. for grazing or sale.
- Drafting by sex e.g. separating heifers and steers.
Before you begin:
There is some key information you need to know:
- You need to have an understanding of how to set up drafting with a Remote WOW Drafter.
- Life data information is data that remains the same for the lifetime of an animal e.g. breed, sex, year born or contract. See Types of data: life data, session data, and animal IDs.
- The life data you are going to draft by must exist in Datamars Livestock before you can set up a list of animals to be drafted. This may mean that you need to upload some life data manually before you begin. You can upload information by creating a spreadsheet containing the information and uploading it from your computer or by uploading a file from a Tru-Test device. For example, you could upload a list of animals and their contract information in order to draft animals which have finished a grazing contract.
Drafting animals by life data
1. In Datamars Livestock, click Groups then click on the group of animals you want to draft from.
Note: If you do not have a group you want to use as your starting point and you want to apply criteria to ALL animals in Datamars Livestock, start in the Animals screen and begin at step 2.
2. Click Animals then Columns. Tick the life data field you are going to draft by e.g. Year Born.
3. Click +Add Filter. Set criteria to filter the animals you want to draft, e.g. Year Born equal to 2020.
4. Click Export and select Remote WOW Drafter to send the list of animals to the Remote WOW Drafter.
5. Type a Draft Name e.g. 2020 Born Calves.
6. If you have more than one Remote WOW Drafter on your farm, select a Draft Device.
7. Click on a Draft Direction Arrow, then Draft.
8. Within a few minutes, the list of animals will be sent to your Remote WOW Drafter.
9. When an animal belonging to the list of animals has its EID scanned, it will automatically be drafted by the Remote WOW Drafter. Animals not in the list will walk straight through.